Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Not your grandma's cookie....

We all know that one of the reasons we love visiting grandma's is because you can eat whatever you want and she makes some pretty awesome cookies (ok, to be honest, neither of my grandmothers ever made homemade cookies that I can remember, but go with me here....:). This recipe I just made and it is wonderfully hearty and mostly (semi?) healthy! These cookies are cake-like in texture and are not very sweet. The chocolate chips lend a nice balance to the overall flavor. I like them because they are not SO sweet that you feel like you have to stop at two....(hehe:)

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
(now there's a mouthful of goodness)
(makes approx 40 cookies - I used HEAPING teaspoonfuls:)

1/2 cup of butter, softend
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/3 cups unsweetened applesauce
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups oats
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cream butter. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking soda.
3. Stir in vanilla, 2 eggs, and applesauce.
4. Stir in little by little flour, oats, and chocolate chips.
5. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto nonstick or greased cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
7. Enjoy some deliciously, fall-ish, mostly guilt free, pleasurable, cookies:)


*I came up with this recipe by playing around with ingredients:) Next time, I'm going to try substituting pumpkin for the applesauce....mmmmm!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate