I love lasagna. We eat it a lot in our house. I was getting tired of our meatless dish always being Mexican inspired, so I decided to switch things up a bit by making eggplant lasagna.
I've made eggplant parmigiana before and although it was delicious, it was entirely too much work! This recipe is very easy, takes a few ingredients, and is absolutely tasty!
Step 1: Rinse and peel 1 large eggplant
Step 2: Lay sliced eggplant on pans and sprinkle salt
Step 3: Let eggplant "sweat" for 30 minutes
Step 4: Rinse excess salt and begin layering ingredients in 9x13 glass baking dish
Step 5: Top with cheese (and foil) and bake at 400 degrees F for 1 hour*
Step 6: Eat and enjoy!
*Depending on how thick you slice your eggplant, you may need to bake it for a longer period of time. If you slice your eggplant 1/4 inch or less, 1 hour is sufficient. If you slice it thicker you will need to bake it for more than 1 hour.
Jacki's Eggplant Lasagna
You will need:
1 large eggplant
15 oz ricotta cheese
8 oz shredded Italian blend cheese (I used mozzarella, provolone, and Parmesan mixture)
Your favorite pasta sauce (I like the Newman's Own varieties)
You could also add:
I usually add spinach to mine, but I didn't have any on hand this time.
1. Peel the eggplant and cut off the ends.
2. Slice the eggplant lengthwise in 1/4 inch thick slice
3. Lay slices on baking sheets and sprinkle generously with salt
4. Let eggplant "sweat" for 30 minutes
5. Rinse excess salt (quickly so the eggplant does not soak in too much water)
6. Layer ingredients into a glass baking dish
7. Top with shredded cheese and cover with foil (I use a cookie sheet instead of foil)
8. Bake at 400 F for 60 minutes (you can remove the foil after 45 minutes if desired)