Tuesday, December 11, 2012

No Room...

As I was reading Luke today, I read through the passage where Luke tells us that Jesus was born in a manger because there was no room for Mary and Joseph in the Inn.

Luke2:7(NIV)
and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.
As I meditated on Luke 2, I couldn't help but relate this to how often I too don't leave room for Jesus. I fill my days with stuff. Some of it is important (i.e. changing poopy diapers), but most of it is trivial. I put so many things before Christ, that by the end of the day I haven't spoken a word to Him. I never thanked Him for anything. I never asked Him for His help. I never asked forgiveness for my disobedience of ignoring Him. I never let Him "speak" to me through His written word. And yet, I still manage to fall asleep without correcting that. Oy.

As a relatively new mom, this has become very heavy on my heart. I know that I need to give God the priority He deserves - both for my spiritual well-being, but also for my son, Tyndale. As parents, we are God's primary representatives to our children. The very first things they learn about God come from you and I. This is extremely humbling if you think about it. I don't want my son's first knowledge about God to be that He's not that important. Or that He doesn't require much attention. Or that He's only interesting on Sundays. I want him to know that God gives me life and breath and that He is my Lord. I want Him to know that I serve Him first above all others - even above daddy. I want him to know that I love God so much that I am willing to make sacrifices for him - even if that means no blog posts, or no leisure reading, or no warm bath - to make time to spend with Him. After all, He made the ultimate sacrifice for me.

I want Tyndale to know that God made that sacrifice for him too.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate